How Do I…
Apply for Service Retirement?
When you’re thinking about retiring:
- Determine your eligibility — If you are not sure if you are eligible, contact TMRS (800-924-8677) or your City Correspondent. If you are not quite eligible, you may be able to receive the following types of service credit to qualify for retirement (contact TMRS for assistance if you think you qualify for additional service credit):
- Proportionate Retirement. When you have a membership with one of the Texas statewide public retirement systems, you may combine their time with your TMRS service to meet TMRS retirement requirements.
- Military Service Credit. If you served in the military before working for a city that provides Military Service Credit, you may apply for up to 60 months of active duty service.
- USERRA. If you were called to active duty in the armed forces during employment and return to city employment upon discharge, you may be eligible to receive a time credit for time served.
- Previously refunded TMRS service. If you previously refunded a TMRS account, you may be eligible to “buy back” your time if the current city provides a Buyback provision.
- Restricted Prior Service Credit. If you previously worked for the public sector, anywhere in the United States, in a full-time capacity, you may be able to apply for your time if your employing city provides this provision.
- Call TMRS Member Services at 1-800-924-8677 and get your questions answered.
- Attend a TMRS Regional Pre-Retirement Conference if one is offered in your area.
When you’re ready to retire:
- Determine your retirement date — It must be the last day of a calendar month and cannot precede your termination date from all TMRS cities. If you are going to work for another TMRS city after retirement, you cannot start working for the new city until after the retirement date.
- Request estimates — The retirement estimate provides TMRS members with estimated monthly annuity payments for each retirement plan and also provides Partial Lump Sum Distribution amounts (see How do I…Request a Retirement Estimate?).
- Complete the retirement packet — Fill out the forms in the Service Retirement Packet. Forward the completed service retirement forms and required documentation to TMRS for processing. Your completed Application for Service Retirement (form packet) must be received by TMRS no later than your retirement date and not earlier than 90 days prior to your retirement date. You will receive a confirmation letter directly from TMRS after we receive and process your retirement application.