To request an estimate:
- Online: Through MyTMRS on the website. You will need to register and sign in to your account to request basic retirement estimates. MyTMRS will store any estimates generated for 60 days .
- By phone: Call our Member Service Center at 800.924.8677.
- In writing: A signed, written request may be faxed to (512) 476-5576 or mailed to PO Box 149153 Austin, TX 78714-9153. Include the following information:
- Full name
- Social Security # or your TMRS ID #
- Mailing Address and Phone #
- The retirement date(s) you would like estimate(s) for.
- Your signature in longhand
- Date of request
- Retiree Life Only Benefit. You will receive a retirement benefit for the rest of your life, but there will be no beneficiary benefits after you die.
- Retiree Life — Survivor Benefits. You will receive a retirement benefit for the rest of your life, and upon your death, your beneficiary will receive either 50%, 75%, or 100% of your benefit for the rest of their life.
- Retiree Life — Guaranteed Term Benefits. You will receive a retirement benefit for the rest of your life. When you retire, you will select a term of 5, 10 or 15 years that begins on your retirement date.
- If you die before that term ends, your beneficiary will receive your benefit for the remainder of the term.
- If you die after that term ends, there will be no beneficiary benefits.
Partial Lump Sum Distribution
You may choose to receive a partial lump sum payment from your member account when you retire. The lump sum payment is equal to the monthly payment of your Retiree Life Only option multiplied by your choice of 12, 24, or 36 and cannot exceed 75% of your member deposits and interest. The lump sum is then deducted from the total amount used to calculate your monthly payment, and a new, reduced monthly payment is determined.
The Partial Lump Sum Distribution is subject to income tax and possibly an additional 10% tax penalty at the time of payment (some exceptions may apply). You can roll over the partial lump sum payment into an IRA or other qualified plan to continue to defer any income tax payments.