How Do I…
Set Up Insurance Payee under HELPS?
Meeting the Criteria
First, you must determine if you meet the criteria. If you wish to make this election, the amount is paid directly by TMRS to an insurer. To qualify for this program, you have to have separated from service as a “public safety officer” (see definition in Note below).
Retired public safety officers may elect to have a monthly amount deducted from their TMRS benefit payment to pay for health care or long-term care insurance premiums. If you qualify, the amount you may deduct from taxable income on your tax return may not exceed $3,000 in one year.
Your last employing city will need to certify your status as a public safety officer for you to get this benefit.
Definition of “public safety officers” under the terms of the PPA
- Individuals involved in crime and juvenile delinquency control or reduction, or enforcement of the criminal laws (including juvenile delinquency), including but not limited to police, corrections, probation, parole, and judicial officers.
- Professional firefighters
- Officially recognized or designated:
- Public employee members of a rescue squad or ambulance crew
- Chaplains of fire departments and police departments
How to Complete the HELPS Application Form (TMRS-HLPS)
To start having these payment deductions made, you’ll need to file the Application for Insurance Premium Deductions for Retired Public Safety Officers (TMRS_HLPS) (pdf) form.
- Complete the Retiree Information portion:
- Your name
- Social Security Number
- Mailing address
- Phone number
- Last employing city
- Complete the Payment Information portion:
- Who to pay
- Account / policy number
- Remittance address for payments
- Phone number (insurance contact)
- Monthly deduction amount
- Effective date (NOTE: first deduction will occur the month after the month the form is received)
- Name of company, if different from payee name
- Retiree Certification – your signature is required. Be sure to sign and date the form.
- The city must fill out the City Certification portion at the bottom of the form:
- Indicate Public Safety Officer capacity
Note: City certification is only required to initiate payments. Future changes and cancellations do not require City certification.